As an advocate for children's health and safety, you will be in contact with elected officials on the local, state and federal level. It is important to be able to communicate effectively with your legislative leaders. Here are some tips for delivering your advocacy message.
Tips for Effective Letters, Faxes and Emails
- Write to the legislators who represent your district.
- Fax or email your letter if the time frame for action is short.
- Limit your letter to one or two pages.
- Clearly state your position on a particular issue.
- Give your credentials when appropriate.
- Ask the legislator to take a particular action.
- Request a letter stating the legislator's position on the issue.
- Express your appreciation for past or future support.
- Send a copy of your letter to Public Policy & External AffairsDepartment, Miami Children's Hospital, 3100 SW 62 Avenue, Miami, FL 33155-3009.
Tips for Making Effective Phone Calls
When time is short, a personal phone call may be the most effective method to communicate your views.
- If you don't know the legislator, ask to speak with the assistant who handles health issues.
- If you can't reach a legislative assistant, leave a concise message.
- Once you reach the legislator or assistant, focus on a single issue.
- Have talking points - or your own notes - in front of you when you call to stay focused on the message you want to deliver.
- Mention the local impact of the issue on the legislator's constituents.
- Clearly state the action you wish the legislator to take on the issue.
- Limit your call to no more than three or four minutes.
- Leave your name and telephone number in case a staff member has any further questions.
- Send a thank-you note.
- Keep a record of the conversation. If you spoke to an assistant, write down that person's name, so you can ask for him/her next time.
- Inform the Public Policy & External Affairs Department of your conversation via letter, fax or email.
Download our Easy Advocacy Toolkit for more information.
For more information send an email to email@example.com or call 305-666-6511 ext. 8435.