Computed Tomography (CT) Scan
Pediatric CT Scan
Nicklaus Children's Hospital is pleased to announce the expansion of diagnostic imaging with the installation of the new Siemens SOMATOM® Definition Flash CT scanner capable of superfast 3D and multiplanar imaging of children with a low radiation dose.
Key Aspects of the Siemens Flash CT Scanner
- New low dose CT significantly reduces the radiation dose in all head, neck, spine, chest, cardiac, abdomen and musculoskeletal studies in comparison with traditional CT scanners. High-quality multiplanar and 3D reconstructions can be obtained with no additional dose.
- In children with face, orbit or temporal bone trauma, new low dose CT has a radiation exposure similar to plain radiograph study, but with higher diagnostic accuracy.
- For sinus disease and craniosynostosis, new low dose CT has higher diagnostic accuracy at a similar radiation exposure to a plain radiograph study. Sedation is rarely required and scans are produced in seconds.
- Automated technology helps the technologist spend less time at the machine and more time with the patient.
- The large gantry and system design allows for excellent access and patient positioning.
- Consistent, high-quality images reduce need for re-scans.
- Equipped with the world’s first fully integrated Stellar detector, which enables low noise scans at low doses.
- New Siemens Flash CT has a lower radiation dose than conventional CTmaking it particularly appropriate for pediatric care.