For more information or to schedule and appointment please call The Heart Program at Miami Children's Hospital (305) 662-8301.
The Pediatric Cardiac Catheterization and Interventional Program at Miami Children’s Hospital is widely recognized as one of the world’s leaders in interventional cardiac catheterization. By utilizing the latest innovations in imaging technologies, coupled with the newest catheter and device technologies, the cardiologists at The Heart Program are able to routinely perform both simple and complex interventional catheterization procedures that serve to enhance or, in certain cases, eliminate the need for open-heart surgery. All currently available interventional procedures are performed including:
• Transcatheter atrial septal defect device (ASD) closure
• Standard balloon angioplasty and cutting balloon angioplasty
• Stent angioplasty for abnormal vessels and coarctation of the aorta
• Transcatheter and hybrid ventricular septal defect (VSD) closure
• Transcatheter patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) closure
• Balloon valvuloplasty for all age groups and all valves.
Devices & Techniques
A number of new catheterization devices and techniques have been developed or refined at The Heart Program including:
• Hybrid procedures (combined with surgery) to approach complex cardiovascular conditions
• Arial septal defect closure using the Gore HELEX® Septal Occluder
• Radiofrequency energy to treat structural heart disease
• Replacement of pulmonary valves using Medtronic Melody™ transcatheter valve and delivery system
• Replacement of pulmonary valves using the Edwards Lifesciences SAPIEN™ transcatheter heart valve.
While the catheterization laboratory is a high-tech environment, the program philosophy of high-tech meets high-touch is evident in every aspect of care. Families learn about their child’s procedure in a special pre-catheterization clinic and are encouraged to remain with their child in the cath lab until he or she is comfortably asleep. Blood work is completed while children are sleeping, in keeping with the hospital’s emphasis on minimizing stress. This family focused approach to care has contributed to the program’s international reputation and prominence.