The Sickle Cell
/Hemoglobinopathies Comprehensive Care Program, offered through the Cancer Center at Miami Children’s Hospital, has been providing sickle cell anemia treatment for children for more than 25 years. More than 300 patients with sickle cell disease and other hemoglobinopathies are cared for on a regular basis.
Under the direction of our team of highly experienced pediatric hematologists, children with sickle cell anemia and other hemoglobinopathies are monitored closely and receive comprehensive management, including coordination of EKGs, echocardiograms, eye examinations, radiology tests and more. Preventive measures offered through the program include immunizations, prophylactic antibiotics and vitamins. In addition, eye, endocrinology and cardiac evaluations are performed on a regular basis.
Sickle cell anemia treatment and special services include:
• Hypertransfusion management for patients following strokes and other catastrophic complications
• Hydroxyurea treatment for recurrent painful crises, acute chest syndrome and other complications
• Exjade treatment for patients with elevated iron levels
• Transcranial Doppler study for early detection of potential risk for stroke
• Genetic counseling for patients and family
• Consultation services with subspecialists who support prevention and management of complications, including ophthalmologists, cardiologists, pulmonologists, orthopaedists, radiologists, nephrologists and more
• Bone marrow transplantation for children who are candidates for this potentially curative treatment