Craig Spurdle, M.D.
3100 SW 62 Avenue
MCH Orthopedic Surgery
Dr. Craig J. Spurdle is board certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery as a Diplomate. He has advanced fellowship-training in pediatric orthopaedic sports medicine and general pediatric orthopaedics from the Scottish Rite Hospital in Atlanta. He is a voluntary assistant professor at the University of Miami School of Medicine and brings a special understanding of sports medicine to the practice of orthopaedic medicine by providing care and treating injuries through Miami Children’s Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and MCH West Kendall Outpatient Center with the purpose of getting young athletes back in the game. He is a former member of the U.S. World Cup Ski Team and travels with the U.S. World Cup Ski and Snowboard Teams as an on-snow physician. Dr. Spurdle is a specialist in pediatric arthroscopic surgical procedures.
Dr. Spurdle has special interests and training in pediatric and adolescent sports medicine, including arthroscopy (knee, ankle, elbow, shoulder, and hip), pediatric hip and foot deformities, congenital and acquired abnormalities of the skeletal system, myelomeningocele (spina bifida), and hemophiliac joint disease. He has published and presented on a wide range of orthopaedic topics, including complex fractures, ligament injuries and more. Dr. Spurdle is also active in running, biking, scuba diving, surfing and water skiing.
1) 2011 Open IRB- Cast removal study and anxiety reduction in children, MCH
2) 2011 Book Chapter Publication, Boston Children’s Hospital
Ed- Millis, Kocher, 2011. Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery. Chapter 43- Arthroscopic Management for Juvenille Osteochondritis Dissecans of the Talus
3) 2010 Article submitted to Oxygen Magazine, ACL Injuries in Female Athletes
4) 2010 Abstract Published AAOS, Pediatric Tibial Spine Fractures- Arthroscopic Suture Fixation.
5) 2009, POSNA E-Poster #66/ Abstract Publication, A New Protocol for Non-operative Management of Pediatric Type 1 Open Fractures.
6) 2007, Jan. Treating Percutaneous Pinning of Supracondylar Humerus Fractures with a Semi-Sterile Technique-The Miami Experience, Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics 27 (1):17-22.
7) 2/2002, Abstract Publication AAOS– Final Program, poster 198. Use of Extra-Corporeal Shock Wave Therapy in the Treatment of Proximal Plantar Fasciitis.
1) 2006 Florida Orthopaedic Society Resident Research Competition– 2nd Place Award
2) 2005 Chicago Marathon Finisher, 2004 /2005 Miami 1/2 Marathon Finisher, 2009 Atlanta ½ marathon finisher
3) 2003 NYU Founder’s Day Award– Academic Achievement
4) 1996 Coaching Award– Outstanding Dedication and Sacrifice
5) 1994 Alternate, Winter Olympics, Lillehammer, Norway
6) 1993 7th Place Finish Breckenridge World Cup Moguls/ United States Ski Team Member/ Federation of International Skiing (FIS)
7) 1992 United States National Championships- Moguls, 5th Place
8) 1992 3rd Place Overall Rocky Mountain Division, Moguls
9) 1992 University of Colorado Ski Team, Moguls, Varsity Captain
10) 1989 Hobart Memorial Sportsmanship Award
11) 1984 Achievement Star for Leadership: 23 Day Outward Bound Mountaineering Course
1) 2010 Feb- Core lecture- University of Miami, Dept of Ortho Surgery- “Myelomeningocele- Part 1”
2) 2010 Feb- Core lecture- University of Miami, Dept of Ortho Surgery- “Myelomenigocele- Part 2”
3) 2009 Nov- Core Lecture- University of Miami, Dept of Ortho Surgery- “Pediatric Fractures about the Knee”
4) 2009 Jun- Grand Rounds Presentation, “Pediatric Fractures about the Knee”, Scottish Rite, Atlanta, Ga.
5) 2009 Jan- Grand Rounds Presentation, “Pediatric ACL Injuries and Management”, Scottish Rite, Atlanta, Ga.
6) 2008 May– Grand Rounds Presentation, U. of Miami, Miami, Fl. “Management of Pediatric Type 1 Open Fractures”
7) 2008 Jan– Grand Rounds Presentation, Doctor’s Hospital, Miami, Fl. “Pediatric Ligament Injuries of the Knee”
8) 2007 May– Grand Rounds Presentation, U of Miami, Miami, Fl. “Pediatric Supracondylar Humerus Fractures”
9) 2006 Feb- Grand Rounds Presentation, Doctor’s Hospital, Miami, Fl. “Sternoclavicular Disorders”
10) 2006 - Florida Orthopaedic Society Podium Presentation, Sandestin, Fl. “Pediatric Supracondylar Humerus Fractures”
11) 2005- Grand Rounds Presentation, U of Miami, Doctor’s Hospital, “Structure and Function of Ligaments”
12) 2002- Poster Presentation AAOS, Dallas, TX. “Plantar Fasciitis”