Miami Children's Hospital operates a twenty-bed inpatient adolescent psychiatric unit and an outpatient service for children, adolescents, and their families. The program will be tailored to the interest of the students.
Educational Objectives and Methodology:
The one month elective in psychiatry will include following:
1. Structural family theory and therapy including direct observation of family therapy sessions.
2. Daily observation of adolescent group psychotherapy sessions followed by theoretical discussion.
3. Participation in the consultation-liaison program including interviewing patients and their parents under direct supervision.
4. Familiarization with the use of psychopharmacological agents.
5. Observation of the administration of psychological tests.
6. Participation in the outpatient service including observation of treatment and liaison with the school system.
7. Exposure to specialized therapeutic groups (i.e., human sexuality group, assertiveness training group, art therapy, music therapy, and vocational therapy.
The students will be evaluated based on their participation.