For Medical Professionals
Nursing Research, Evidence-Based Projects & Publications
The Nursing Department at Nicklaus Children's Hospital, formerly Miami Children's Hospital, supports, engages and empowers nurses to initiate Evidence Based Practice (EBP) process improvements and nursing research throughout the organization. Nurses across all levels are continuously encouraged to explore the most current and best practices and generate new knowledge when an identified need arises. Integration of evidence based best practices and nursing research into clinical and operational processes aligns to the Nursing Department’s commitment to provide the high quality care associated with positive patient outcomes.
Nursing Publications2014 Publications
- Drozdowicz, A., & Dillard, D. (2014). Presence in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. International Journal of Childbirth Education. 29 (4), 63-67.
- Drozdowicz, A. (2014). “Holistic Nurses of South Florida: A New Hope in Patient-Care”. Natural Awakenings, (6), 31.
- Drozdowicz, A. (2014). “Healing Touch: A Holistic Complimentary Integrative Energy Therapy”. Natural Awakenings, (8), 18-19.
- Pasaron, R. (2013). Nurse practitioner job satisfaction: looking for successful outcomes. Journal of Clinical Nursing, doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2702.2012.04331.x
- Brooten, D., Youngblut, J., Hannan, J., Caicedo, C., Malkawi, F., Roche, R. (2013). Infant and child deaths: Parent concerns about subsequent pregnancies. Submitted to Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic & Neonatal Nursing.
- Hannan , Siobhan , and Patricia Dean . "Nursing Considerations in Epilepsy Treatment ." Pediatric Epilepsy . New York : McGraw Hill , 2012. 447-453. Print.
- Brooten, D., Youngblut, J., Seagrave, L., Caicedo, C., Hawthorned, D., Hidalgo, I., Roche, R. (2012). Parents perceptions of health care providers actions around child ICU death: What helped, what did not. American Journal of Hospice & Palliative Medicine. P. 1-10.
- Pasaron, R. (2012). Clostridium difficile: A pediatric surgical experience. SUTURELINE: American Pediatric Surgical Nurses Association, 19(3), 1, 12-18.
- Pasarón, R. (2012). Neonatal bioethical perspectives: Practice consideration. Neonatal Network: Journal of Neonatal Nursing. Accepted for publication.
- Pasarón, R. (2012). Nurse Practitioner Job Satisfaction: Looking for Successful Outcomes. Journal of Clinical Nursing. Accepted for publication.
- Alkhoury, F., Burnweit, C. Knight, C., Stylianos, S., Diana, J., Pasarón, R., Mora, J., Aserlind, A., & Malvezzi, L. (2012). Routine same-day discharge after acute or interval appendectomy in children: A prospective study. Archives of Surgery, 147(5), 443-446.
- Alkhoury, F., Burnweit, C., Malvezzi, L., Knight, C., Diana, J., Pasarón, R., Mora, J., Nazarey, P., Aserlind, A., & Stylianos, S. (2012). A prospective study of safety and satisfaction with same-day discharge after laparoscopic appendectomy for acute appendicitis. Journal of Pediatric Surgery, 47(2), 313-316.
- Pasarón, R. (2012). Name that diagnosis: Lactobezoar. Sutureline: American Pediatric Surgical Nurses Association, 19(2), 12, 16.
- Pasarón, R. (2012). Clinical problem-solving: Three rare conditions-one pediatric surgical patient. Journal of Pediatric Nursing. 27, 295-298.
- Molloy, C. T., & Pasarón, R. (2012). Fluid and electrolyte management of the pediatric surgical patient. In N.T. Browne, L.M. Flanigan, C.A. McComiskey, & P. Pieper. (2012). Nursing Care of the Pediatric Surgical Patient (3rd ed.), (pp. 17-30). Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett Publishers.
- Linda Nylander-Housholder, MSN, ARNP, CCRN, published Chapter 21: Bioinstrumentation: Principles and Treatments in “Nursing Care of the Critically Ill Child” by Mary Fran Hazinski
- Jo Ann Nieves, MSN, ARNP, CPN, PNP-BC and Ruby Whalen BSN, RN, CCRC, published the chapter on Cardiovascular Care on Cardiac Catheterization and Interventions in “Nursing Care of the Critically Ill Child” by Mary Fran Hazinski
- Blouin, W; IDF Nurse Advisory Committee; “Nursing Care Standards for Immunoglobulin Replacement Therapy” , Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology 32, (Supp 1): S1-S379, September 2012.
- Browne, N.T., Flanigan, L.M., McComiskey, C.A., & Pieper, P. (Eds.) (2012). Nursing Care of the Pediatric Surgical Patient (3rd ed.). Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett.
- Diana, J., & Shapiro, T. (2012). Malrotation and volvulus. In Browne, N.T., Flanigan, L.M., McComiskey, C.A., & Pieper, P. (Eds.) (2012). Nursing Care of the Pediatric Surgical Patient (3rd ed.). Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett.
- Uzark K, Wang Y, Rudd N, Elixson EM, Strawn J, Nieves JA, Smith C, Staveski S, O'Brien P, Tong E, Ittenbach R. (2012). Interstage feeding and weight gain in infants following the Norwood operation: can we change the outcome? Cardio Young, Jan 24:1-8.
- On behalf of the Life Flight Services Dept. and Nursing Research and EBP Council we would like to congratulate Holly Olsen, RN, BSN, CCRN for her poster presentation on April 6, 2012 at the Baptist 7th Annual Research Conference, 2012. Miami, FL where she translated to peer experts, Nicklaus Children's Hospital Life Flight’s 2010-2011 EBP project. Way to GO Holly!!! You make us proud and represented us well!
Deborah Salani MSN, ARNP, CPON, BC-NE and Michelle Burke MSN, ARNP, CPON published a chapter on Hematologic and Oncologic Emergencies Requiring Critical Care in a book titled “Nursing Care of the Critically Ill Child” by Mary Fran Hazinski.
- Jane Bragg, MSN, ARNP, NEA-BC, CPON. “Pediatric Hematology-Oncology Nocromial Catheter Associated Blood Stream Infection Collaborative.”
- Bing Wood DNP, ARNP. “Eliminating Catheter Associated Blood Stream Infections in PICU and CICU.”
- Dobrolet, N. & Nieves, J. “National Collaborative to Improve Care of Children with Complex Congenital Heart Disease: A Project of the Joint Council of Congenital Heart Disease (JCCHD).”
- Deborah Hill-Rodriguez, MSN, ARNP, PCNS-BC. “A Multi Center Study for the Psychometric Testing of the Humpty Dumpty Inpatient Scale”
- Ruby Whalen RN, CCRC. “Assessment of Quality of Life in Patients with Right Ventricle dysfunction after transcatheter pulmonary valve implant”
- Raquel Pasaron DNP,ARNP, FNP-BC. “Retrospective Chart Review of Pediatric Nitrous Oxide Procedural Sedation for Minor Surgery- A 12-year Series.”
- Carmen Fraga-Soto, MSN, ARNP, NNP-BC. “The Incidence of NEC in a Tertiary Cardiac ICU.”
- Yoely Hernandez MBA, BSN, RN & Shirley Kendzora MSN, ARNP. “Reducing Seclusions and Emergency PRN medication through collaborative problem solving in an inpatient child and adolescent psychiatric unit.”
- Lourdes Lopez-Fernandez, MSN, RN, Carla Le Blanc MSN, RN, CPN, Ingrid Gonzalez, MSN, RN, CPN, Deborah Hill Rodriguez, MSN, ARNP, PNCS-BC, Elena Ortega MSN, ARNP, CCRN, Michelle Burke, MSN, ARNP, CPN, CPON, Kristeen Roberts, MSN, ARNP, CPN, Jacqueline Whyte, BSN, RN, CPN. “The Effect of Heparin Dosing on the Occlusion Rates of Children with Central Lines.”
- Raquel Pasaron DNP, ARNP, FNP-C. “Nurse Practitioner Job Satisfaction: Looking for Successful Outcomes.”
- Deborah Salani MSN, ARNP, CPON, NE-BC. “The Effect of Nurse Staffing on Patients in PICU.”
- Dobrolet, N. & Nieves, J. “New Approach to Interstage Care for Palliated High-Risk Patients with Congential Heart Disease.”
- Nieves J, Mora J. “Family Stress, Coping, and Outcomes Following the Diagnosis of Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) in a Newborn.”
- Nieves J, Whalen R, Roach C, Monzon V, Zabrisky J, Zakheim R. “Survey of Parental Knowledge and Assessment of Life-Long Care Campaign. Multicenter study group through Adult Congenital Heart Association.”
- Nieves, J. “Home Surveillance and Feeding Strategies in Infants with Complex Single Ventricle.”