April is AUTISM AWARENESS Month
- Autism impacts the normal development of the brain in the areas of social interaction, communication skills, and cognitive function.
- Individuals with autism typically have difficulties in verbal and non-verbal communication, social interactions, and leisure or play activities
- 1 out of 88 children age 8 will have an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
- Males are four times more likely to have an ASD than females.
- Autism greatly varies from person to person (no two people with autism are alike) and ranges from very mild to severe
- Children with autism do progress – early intervention is key
If you think your child might have an ASD or you think there could be a concern with the way your child plays, learns, speaks, or acts, contact your child’s doctor/ therapist, and share your concerns.