The accompanying photo shows progress on the exterior portion of the Emergency Department expansion, situated immediately below the helipad. The ED project, set for completion in 2014, will increase to 72 the number of exam rooms and will also offer patients and families an enhanced lobby and waiting rooms as well as a new trauma center.
The Miami Children’s Hospital (MCH) Emergency Department is the busiest in the state and one of the most visited in the nation. Each year, the department provides care for approximately 100,000 children, an average of nearly 275 per day. What’s more, the Emergency Department is the 2012 Kids Crown Award recipient as “Best children’s ER” in Miami-Dade County, according to the readers of South Florida Parenting Magazine.
MCH provides its signature pediatric care for every child visiting the Emergency Department, which is also home to a regional pediatric Trauma Center, providing life-saving and stabilizing treatment. Volume far exceeds capacity and the number of patient visits continues to rise.
Projected Completion Date: 2014
Expanding to Meet Needs and Enhance Life-Saving Treatment
To meet the needs of a growing community, the MCH Emergency Department is expanding and adding world-class amenities to optimize its world-class emergency care. The M.B. Fernandez Trauma Center at Miami Children’s Hospital Emergency Department – the only freestanding Level I pediatric trauma center in Florida -- is also being expanded. Highlights of the department expansion include:
- A larger 47,000-square-foot facility to feature 72 patient care rooms
- Increased efficiencies in patient wait times
- Quicker access to medical treatment
- Specialized areas for enhanced patient flow from triage to discharge/disposition
- Comprehensive Trauma Suite
- Fast Track Area
- Rapid Care Area
- Critical Care Area
- Dedicated Pediatric Fracture Care Clinic
- Two X-Ray Suites
- Decentralized nurse stations for increased visibility and safety
- Additional pediatrician support
- Additional Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants for enhanced physician support
- Close proximity of a broad array of sub-specialty services (craniofacial, ENT, endocrinology, others)
Amenities to Enhance the Care Experience
The patient experience is also a top priority at Miami Children’s Hospital Emergency Department. Our new facilities will feature the following environmental enhancements.
- A 5,000 square-foot Waiting Room with family grouping seating
- Dedicated “entertainment zones” for children of all ages
- Better access to nurses and physicians by families
- Increased patient and family privacy and satisfaction
Members of the community, including individuals, corporations and foundations, can help support the Emergency Department expansion. For more information, please call Miami Children’s Hospital Foundation at 305.666.2889.
Project Photos: (Click on the thumbnails below to enlarge image)