Nebulizers can be used to treat asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), and other conditions where inhaled medicines are indicated. Nebulizers deliver a stream of medicated air to the lungs over a period of time.
Assemble the nebulizer according to its instructions. These are the basic steps:
- Connect the hose to an air compressor.
- Fill the medicine cup with your prescription.
- Attach the hose and mouthpiece to the medicine cup.
- Place the mouthpiece in your mouth. Breathe through your mouth until all the medicine is used. (Often this takes about 10 - 15 minutes). Some people use a nose clip to help them breathe only through the mouth. Others prefer to use a mask.
- Wash the medicine cup and mouthpiece with water, and air-dry until your next treatment.